Pages

Wednesday 7 August 2013

Give me a sign

As you're aware if you've been following my blog for a while I'm a Christian. I spent some time before I transitioned teaching Sunday school at our church and was also a Street Pastor.

I originally came to my faith when I was in my mid teens as a result of attending church parade with our scout troop and then starting to go to the same church every week.

At the same time though I also had an interest in the paranormal and occult, purely from the point of reading up about the subject and not from any active participation in anything.

As I got older my interests moved on to other things and not just make-up and girls fashion :-)

My interest in the paranormal has always been there though and just over 15 years ago I took a tarot reading course and had a couple of readings by the lady that ran the course.

About a month ago I was in a local shop and saw an advert for someone that does a variety of things including Reiki healing, belly dancing classes and also tarot readings.

Over the last week I've been thinking about having a tarot reading and this morning I looked up the details for the lady who I saw advertised. What really stood out for me on her website was that she mentioned transsexualism. I don't believe that she herself is transsexual but she must know one or more.

Now a few of my friends at church would disapprove of me getting involved with tarot readings because they would see it as dabbling with the occult. At least they would have disapproved if they knew I was planning to have, or had had, a reading done.

As I walked to work this morning I'd decided that I was going to contact the lady in question and arrange to have a reading. That's when things got interesting.

Just as I was crossing the road near to work I could see a woman walking towards me. As I looked I realised it was my friend JH from church. I've not seen her for a while so it was good to stop and chat, even if only briefly.  She told me that she's been going to different churches in the area because of the Street Pastors.
"Oh, are you doing Street Pastors now" I asked.
"No I've taken over as coordinator".

Well that was the first I'd heard of that so I was a bit surprised. I know that the old coordinator hadn't been well but hadn't heard that she'd stepped down. We chatted for a few minutes before saying our goodbyes. One of the last things that JH said to me was that she hoped they'd see me back with Street Pastors at some point in the future.

Now I've heard of people going through stressful or troubling times and praying to God for a sign. I've also heard of people that have resisted becoming Christian beside lots of things hinting to them that they should. Nicky Gumble, one of the main figures behind the Alpha course, is a good example of someone who had lots of hints before finally acting on them.

As for me I've never really had something like that happen. Until today.

Now OK I know that in all likelihood it was just a coincidence that I bumped into JH but, today? Just after I'd made the decision to arrange to have a tarot reading. Hmm.
Whether it was a coincidence or not I've decided not to bother with the reading. Was it the right decision, time will tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment